Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday


When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

See from his head, his hands, his feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were an off'ring far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.

Isaac Watts, 1707
Tune:
ROCKINGHAM (L.M.)
Edward Miller, 1790


(#2 in The Best Church Hymns of 1899 and still fairly high on most lists today)


Two Years Ago: Good Friday

One Year Ago: Good Friday

3 comments:

Kittredge Cherry said...

Thinking of you on Good Friday...

AuntE said...

I know these words are sometimes paired with other tunes, but I like Rockingham the best I think. Don't hear it often enough in my circles.

C.W.S. said...

Unfortunately, the sound file here is missing the wonderful alto part.