Sunday, March 15, 2009

And Humbly Follow After Me

Today's Lenten hymn was actually sung last week in many churches, as it was adapted from a section of one of the suggested lessons, Mark 8:31-36. The text is from the Episcopal Hymnal 1982, slightly modernized from its original version.

Take up your cross, the Savior said,
If you would my disciple be;
Take up your cross with willing heart,
And humbly follow after me.

Take up your cross, let not its weight
Fill your weak spirit with alarm;
My strength shall bear your spirit up,
And brace your heart and nerve your arm.

Take up your cross then in my strength,
And calmly every danger brave,
It guides you to abundant life,
And leads to victory o'er the grave.

Take up your cross and follow me,
Nor think till death to lay it down;
For only those who bear the cross
May hope to wear the glorious crown.

Charles W. Everest, 1833; alt.
Tune: BOURBON (L.M.)
attrib. Freeman Lewis, 19th c.

No comments: