Sunday, April 21, 2013

By Quiet Streams You Lead Me

 As you can see below, the Fourth Sunday of Easter, also known in many churches as Good Shepherd Sunday, has been observed here several times.  And, as promised some years back, we have not yet run out of paraphrases of Psalm 23 to sing.

This one comes from The Psalter (1912) a hymnal that was compiled by and shared among many of the different Presbyterian denomination in the United States at that time.

My Shepherd, you will hold me
Within your tender care,
And with your flock you fold me,
No want shall find me there.
In pastures green you feed me,
With plenty I am blest;
By quiet streams you lead me,
And make me safely rest.

Whatever may befall me,
You will restore and bless;
For your name’s sake you guide me,
In paths of righteousness.
Your rod and staff will cheer me
In death’s enfolding shade,
For you will then be near me;
I shall not be afraid.

My food you will supply me,
In presence of my foes;
With oil you will anoint me,
My cup of bliss o’erflows.
Your goodness, God, shall guide me,
Your mercy cheer my way;
A home you will provide me
Within your house alway.

The Psalter, 1912; alt.
Tune: LLANGLOFFAN (7.6.7.6.) 
Welsh melody



Four Years Ago: Since God is my Shepherd

Three Years Ago: Thou art my Shepherd


One Year Ago:  Beside the still waters

No comments: