Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ash Wednesday

Another Lent begins, a difficult time of year for some, yet eagerly anticipated by others.  Today's hymn is a partial paraphrase of Psalm 51, one of the appointed psalms for the day.

Gracious God, my heart renew,
Make my spirit right and true;
Cast me not away from thee,
Let thy Spirit dwell in me;
Thy salvation’s joy impart,
Steadfast make my willing heart.

Those who seek shall learn from me
And return, O God, to thee;
Savior, all my guilt remove,
And my tongue shall sing thy love;
Touch my silent lips, O Lord,
And my mouth shall praise accord.

Not the formal sacrifice
Has acceptance in thine eyes;
Broken hearts are in thy sight
More than sacrificial rite;
Contrite spirit, pleading cries,
Thou, O God, will not despise.

Prosper Zion in thy grace
And its broken walls replace:
Then our righteous sacrifice
Shall delight thy holy eyes;
Free-will offerings, gladly made,
On thine altar shall be laid.

The Psalter, 1912; alt.
Tune: BREAD OF HEAVEN (7.7.7.7.7.7.)
William Dalrymple Maclagan, 1875




Eight (Liturgical) Years Ago: Lord, who throughout these forty days

Seven (Liturgical) Years Ago: Awhile in spirit, Christ, to thee (now on Facebook)

Five (Liturgical) Years Ago: O Christ, whose tender mercy hears

Four (Liturgical) Years Ago: All those who seek a comfort sure


No comments: